Habitat for Heroes
We are pleased to announce our 3rd Habitat for Heroes home-owner, Specialist James Stevens!
My name is James Stevens. I was born in Knoxville, Iowa on June 5, 1976. My brother and I bounced from foster home to foster home until we were adopted. I was five years old when we moved to Lynnville, IA with our new parents. Then in 1989, we moved to LeRoy, Illinois. Growing up I had no doubt what I wanted to do. I loved “GI Joe” action figures and war movies. I wanted to be a soldier. I met my first wife and she had a one-and-a-half-year-old baby girl named Kirstin, from a previous relationship. I became a dad and am still her dad today. In 2000, we brought another angel onto this Earth named Madison. Both of my daughters have been a complete blessing in my life, not only did I learn to be a dad but they have taught me lessons in life that have made me a better man. In 2010, I joined the Army and began infantry basic training where I learned a lot. In 2011, I moved to Fort Riley, Kansas and was to be stationed there until 2014. During my time at Fort Riley, I learned all about loyalty, duty, respect, and honor. Things I believe everyone should learn. In 2012, I deployed to Afghanistan where I was stationed at a combat outpost called COP Zerok up in the mountains. Life at a COP is often simple, strict, and demanding with every soldier responsible for guard duty and patrolling. We sadly lost three soldiers who were great guys as well as great dads, brothers, and husbands. We will never forget them and their sacrifice. In 2013, we came home and started our transition back into regular army life. In 2014, I moved back to Illinois and drilled at the Bartonville Armory until May 2016.
We wanted to give a special thank you to Congressmen Darin LaHood for partnering with us for the 2016 Veteran Build!
If you would like sponsorship information or want to know how to get involved, please call Amanda at (309) 676-6729 x 2
So what is Habitat for Heroes?
Habitat for Heroes is our national initiative to provide housing solutions, volunteer and employment opportunities to U.S. veterans, military service members and their families. We partner with numerous sponsors to provide decent, affordable housing for our deserving veterans. Habitat for Humanity Greater Peoria completed our first Habitat for Heroes Build in 2014 and are eager to start our third Habitat for Heroes house this fall!
The Veterans Build mission is focused on these five areas:
- Build: Provide simple, decent and affordable housing solutions for military, veterans and their families.
- Mobilize: Engage military members, veterans, families, veterans’ groups and all military supporters in volunteer programs and veteran-related advocacy.
- Employ: Capitalize on skill sets gained from military service with recruitment targeting veterans as Habitat for Humanity International/local affiliate employees, board members and extended volunteers, national service members, interns and fellows.
- Educate: Promote cultural competency for Habitat affiliates engaging military and veterans and provide access to financial literacy and homeownership education programs.
- Honor: Host regular slate of events highlighting veteran housing needs and honoring their service. Target dates include the 9/11 Day of Service, MLK Day and Veterans Day.
In order to help our military families, we have to raise a certain amount of money in order to purchase our materials. If you or anyone you know would be willing to partner with us to help provide these necessary materials, please contact Amanda at 309 676-6729 x 2
Our 2014 and 2015 Habitat for Heroes Home-owners!